Communications ”“ Cover Your Six ”“ Buddy Up = “CCB”
Spring break is here & for those of us with children, the thought of them going on vacation without us is often anxiety provoking. Believing “less is more”, I have given my daughters three easy- to -remember strategies.
- Parents and children should always have their cell phones on their person and switched on!!
- Sharing your plans with your parents puts them at ease. If your plans change, update them right away. If you can’t call, shoot them a text message. Remember, if they don’t know where you are, they can’t get help for you if the need arises.
- Check in with your parents at a scheduled time each day. This will give them peace of mind and minimize their calling you to find out if all is well.
- Mom and Dad: If the kids are proactive and responsible with these communication strategies, reward them by hovering less. That’s my agreement with my daughters.
Cover your Six–
- Young men and women: do what all professional safety, security, military and law enforcement officers do. Remain aware of your surroundings at all times and most importantly, know what is going on behind you at all times.
- This blind spot is known as your “Six O’ Clock” and it’s from where bad guys generally launch attacks.
- The simplest way to do this: look LEFT and RIGHT whenever you walk through a door, an entrance or exit, get on or off an elevator, etc. Remember, the direction you do NOT turn toward is going to become your new blind spot. Practice this now at home so it becomes a habit.
- Put away the headphones. If you don’t see someone coming up on you, you need to hear them!
- The buddy system is one of the most effective ways to lower your risk of being a victim of crime.
- It’s not always convenient to wait for someone to walk with you to your hotel or to your hotel room, but it is well worth it! You should buddy up even when going to the bathroom at a busy mall. This is not being paranoid. It is being smart!!
- Just because there are three or even four of you walking as a buddy team, you still need to COVER YOUR SIX and pay attention to your surroundings.
- Smart buddy teams also avoid isolated areas and will take the long way around to avoid quiet places, especially at night.
“CCB” ”“ If your children remember to implement these three simple strategies they will be that much safer during their travels